Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:55:34PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
> >You can access SCSI CDs using /dev/sr* for burning CDs.  It's backed by
> >the
> >same highlevel code as SG_IO on /dev/hd* while the lowerlevel handling is
> >done transparently by the scsi midlayer, the same code used by /dev/sg*
> >for
> >the below-blocklayer handling.
> >
> This may be true if you create your own /dev entries, or are a udev guru
> and can get it to generate the right entries. And if you use ATAPI
> devices it works fine... But with Fedora and SuSE it appears that USB
> devices which appear as SCSI aren't functional. I tested the Fedora
> myself, and after killing udevd and making some entries by hand it
> worked once.
>
> Now if you can access SCSI burners more power to you, with FC4 up to
> recent updates, my one convenient real SCSI device most definitely
> doesn't work, and I havd to fall the system back to Slackware and 2.4
> which was on it before.
>
> Because you know how to get around the problems doesn't really suggest
> that there aren't any.

How are the dev entires related to CD burning?  If the device entries
don't appear for you that's a problem, but you deserve what you get
for using a POS like udev.  If you have a sd or sr node you can use
SG_IO on it, period.  Whether you can actually burn a CD of course
depends on the capability of the device.  I don't have a CD burner
connected through usb, but I couldn't think of a reason the usb <-> atapi
bridge would make problems with the scsi commands used to burn a CD.