Re: Device enumeration (was Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:24:22PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I'm torn between "nuts to alsa", pointing out that "ln -s /dev /dev/snd"
> should shut it up nicely, and thinking up a way to actually do what it wants.
>
> If there's a real need for subdirectories, I'm sure we can come up with a way
> to shunt stuff into them.  (Of course a shellout could do it, but if it's
> common enough we could build something into mdev...)
>
> The easy one's the symlink, assuming there are no name collisions flinging
> everything into one directory...

Let's see, on a recent kernel and recent udev I have as directories
under /dev:

- disk, a pure udev creation, so no conflict there
- loop, devices names under that are numeric.  mount has /dev/loop%d
  and /dev/loop/%d hardcoded
- bus/usb, this one collides with itself if flattened
- snd/sound, names except for seq and timer are pretty much line
  noise.  "timer" is scary though.
- net with tun and (I think) tap.
- pktcdvd with "control", not sure what tool uses it
- misc is ok (they're all ex-/dev/xx devices)
- video1394, dv1394, i2c with '0' as device name
- dri with card%d
- cpu which self-collides too
- input with a potentially dangerous event%d

So, well, I think you're going to need directories for usb and cpu
without doubt, and some of the rest is potentially risky, long-term
wise.

  OG.