Re: Device enumeration (was Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 7:54 pm, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:24:22PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I plan to start objecting earlier in future next time they propose to
> > break us for no readily apparent reason.
>
> Please do.

I will.  I'm not complaining to you about failure to provide timely feedback.
(I fell behind on the list again...)

> That was because we needed a local copy of libsysfs due to linking
> against klibc.  Also because we needed to fix up libsysfs to actually
> work for our needs :)
>
> Anyway, we've now dropped libsysfs entirely, replacing it with 200 lines
> of code that is much faster and more flexible.

Yup.

> libsysfs dried up and blew away when IBM abandonded it and stoped
> funding the developers who were working on it.  Projects need active
> developers, something that IBM was not willing to provide for this one,
> for whatever reason...

I'm still not sure why it existed in the first place.  Oh well.

> > If mdev accomplishes nothing else, we can poke Linus and go "no fair,
> > this was exported to userspace and we depend on it", which udev hasn't.
>
> Again, please complain if we break anything, we want to know, and I'll
> do my best to keep it from happening.

Understood.  I'm caught up with the list again (ok, I skipped 3 months) and am
going to try to stay that way...

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Rob