Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt 0.43 has been released! [SERIOUS BUG]

Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi all,

On 2006-02-14, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 04:25, Peter Williams wrote:

The problem arises when pushing a patch that has errors in it (due to
changes in the previous patches in the series) and needs the -f flag to
force the push.  What's happening is that the reverse of the errors is
being applied to the "pre patch" file in the .pc directory.  Then when
you pop this patch it returns the file to a state with the reverse of
the errors applied to it.

Found and fixed. It's a missed rollback_patch on one of the two branches of
the code that checks if a patch can be reverse applied. This case
apparently doesn't trigger as easily as it seems, or else we would have
found it sooner. Still quite bad.

I probably encountered it the other day, but as I couldn't explain what
was happening,  I mistakenly concluded to a user error and started again
from a fresh tree. Or maybe it was really a user error after all.

I went through much the same process (several times) before it finally dawned on me that it might be a problem with the newly updated quilt and replaced it with 0.42 :-(. I was worried that the symptoms were so bizarre and hard to describe properly that the problem would be hard to fix so I was impressed by the speed with which the problem was solved.

I was about to suggest that we add a test in the quilt test suite, but I
see you did already - good!

Shall we wait until the translations are up-to-date again, or release
0.44 immediately?

I'd say:
* Fix the temporary file leak in the mail command I have been reporting a
few days ago - unless it's there on purpose.
* Update the translations. I'll take care of French this evening
(GMT+01).
* Let people (including me) do a little testing. If nothing else, running
the test suite on a few different systems can't hurt.
* Release.

We can be done by tomorrow if Yashi can handle the Japanese translation
fast. If Yashi is too busy I guess we'll have to release anyway...

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce