Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 04:20, Martin Mares wrote:
<snip>
> I think that it's clear from all this, that device naming is a matter
> of policy and that the best the OS can do is to give the users a way
> how to specify their policy, which is what udev does.
>
> 				Have a nice fortnight

True, and the point I was trying to make. Joerg has a policy that works well
on some systems and doesn't on others. Rather than giving people a clear
option to use the other system he has. In Linux udev provides a user
configurable policy that works extremely well. Rather than change the
software to accomodate udev/hald as he accomodates vold on Solaris Joerg
insists on having *nearly* pointless warnings and insisting that his method
is the only valid one.

That's the reason I asked him if he'd accept a patch that removed said warning
and converted the device the user passed in (be it /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrw) and
internally converts it into his naming scheme. I have yet to see a response
to this.

DRH

PS: Joerg my offer for that still stands, as does my offer to _attempt_ to fix
the bugs you've reported in the ATAPI layer. Sadly I cannot offer to repair
ide-scsi, as that is deprecated and scheduled for removal. However, with that
being the case my offer to attempt to repair the noted problems with the
mangling of commands by the ATAPI system remains. All I ask for is a detailed
report including which model drives have the problem and debugging output so
that I can attempt to repair the problem since I do not have the access to
hardware that you do.