Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Monday 13 February 2006 16:43, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> It seems that this "discussion" is missong new ideas and I believe it's
> best to stop any conversation that does not introduce new ideas.
>
> I mentioned the two most important Linux Bugs to fix.
>
> Let us continue after there is at least a hint that leads to a possible
> fix for these bugs.
>
> It makes no sense to waste my time while it is obvious that the Linux
> kernel folks are completely missing any will to fix their bugs.

I think the general consensus from kernel developers and cdrecord users alike
is that the only logical way to refer to devices in Linux is via /dev/* and
any other method is broken and illogical.

If you want stable b,t,l junk, submit a clean patch for Linux yourself. Either
way, 99.99% of cdrecord *users* want to use /dev/cdrom whether b,t,ls are
stable or not. The code to do the latter is already written, working, and
well-tested-- you just need to drop an artificial warning.