Re: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

On Sunday 12 February 2006 02:51, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't understand how a fundamental (good) debate of how
> suspend to disk should be implemented in kernel, changed
> into this one.
>
> I don't care what Linus said... Suspend-to-disk is more
> complicated than suspend-to-RAM. It is more complicated

And more useful in many cases... I'd just like to throw in here that when my
battery has seven minutes left and I have a month's uptime... I suspend to
disk. I also presume that many people do this as well.

> since it provides more features. Suspend-to-RAM only stores
> state, where Suspend-to-disk need to store the state
> somewhere thus changing the initial state.
>
> There is a long list of features available at
> http://wiki.suspend2.net/FeatureUserRegister, which cannot
> be provided using suspend-to-RAM, examples:
> 1. Store state on files - this allow you to resume your
> machine into a different OS.
> 2. Encrypt state - this allow you to be sure that your data
> is stored encrypted. (Yes... You can encrypt the memory...
> but then you need a whole initramfs clone in order to allow
> the user to specify how he want to encrypt/decrypt).
> 3. Network resume - this allow you to resume a network
> machine (Not implemented yet, but cannot be done if
> suspend-to-RAM is the sole implementation).
> 4. Support desktops/servers - this allow you to
> suspend/resume hardware that is not designed to sleep, in
> order to minimize downtime on power failure.
>
> And another fact: Suspend-to-RAM implementation can be
> derived form suspend-to-disk but not the other way around.
>
> So let's invert the initial "fact"...
> Suspend-to-RAM is basically for people that don't need the
> full functionality of suspend-to-disk, after I got
> suspend-to-disk to work reliably here (suspend2), I *NEVER*
> use suspend-to-RAM.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alon Bar-Lev.
> -

--hackmiester
If you can read this, you don't need glasses.