Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

Hi.

On Thursday 09 February 2006 19:25, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Good morning ;-).
>
> > > At one point you said you'd like to work with us, and earlier in the
> > > threads you stated that porting suspend2 to userland should be easy.
> > >
> > > [I do not think that putting suspend2 into git is useful thing to
> > > do. Of course, it is your option; but it seems to me that people
> > > likely to use suspend2 are not the kind of people that use git.]
> > >
> > > It would be very helpful if you could install uswsusp, then try to
> > > make suspend2 run in userland on top of uswsusp interface. Not
> > > everything will be possible that way, but it most of features should
> > > be doable that way. I'd hate to code yet another splashscreen code,
> > > for example...
> >
> > I've begun briefly to have a look at this.
> >
> > Part of the problem I have, both with doing incremental patches for
> > swsusp and with doing a userspace version, is that some of the
> > fundamentals are redesigned in suspend2. The most important of these is
> > that we store the metadata in bitmaps (for pageflags) and extents (for
> > storage) instead of pbes. Do you have thoughts on how to overcome that
> > issue? Are you willing, for example, to do work on switching swsusp to
> > use a different method of storing its data?
>
> Any changes to userspace are a fair game. OTOH kernel provides linear
> image to be saved to userspace, and what it uses internally should not
> be important to userland parts. (And Rafael did some changes in that
> area to make it more effective, IIRC).

What about providing the possibility of using the 2 pagesets I use at the
moment? I'm not suggesting it should be compulsory, but perhaps an ioctl to
say "I want to save a Suspend2 style image"?

Regards,

Nigel