Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

On Saturday 11 February 2006 00:35, Pavel Machek wrote:
> So another flamewar is over, good. I even received one apology ;-),
> and probably should have sent some apologies, too...
[...]
> version. How you could help?
>
> * testing is useful at this point. Few confirmations that it works in
> different configurations would make us feel warm and fuzzy.
>
> * documentation improvements, and small scripts. Having script that
> prepares initrd would be nice, for example.
>
> * having someone to maintain suspend.sf.net web pages / release CVS
> snapshot as package would help, too.
>
> * userspace code improvements. Encryption, LZW and graphical progress
> should be reasonably easy to do. There's some tricky stuff, if you
> prefer -- support for swap files and normal files would help,
> too. Plus I guess everyone has their favourite feature...

That all makes sense.

To make uswsusp a success you need it tested [T], supporting scripts [S],
someone [B] who puts work in the webpages [W] with decent documentation [D],
and a bunch of spiffy features [F].

[T] * http://wiki.suspend2.net/FeatureUserRegister
    * http://www.suspend2.net/lists
[S] http://www.suspend2.net/downloads/all/hibernate-script-1.12.tar.gz
[B] Bernard Blackham, [email protected]
[W] http://www.suspend2.net
[D] * http://www.suspend2.net/links
    * http://www.suspend2.net/HOWTO
    * http://www.suspend2.net/FAQ
[F] http://www.suspend2.net/features

I, as a contributors to suspend2, have been working on all that stuff for
about two-and-a-half years, and it makes me really sad to see that someone in
a position to make a decision towards progress wants to start that whole
process all over, rather than acknowledging the existance of a technical
superior solution - including a well-functioning supporting community - and
working towards getting this solution available for a wider audience.

Judging from experience, uswsusp is probably two years away until it can even
come close to what suspend2 offers right now, and that would be the ideal
case of having a lot of people helping in the progress, involving being
actively involved and dedicated to fixing problems.
--
sebas

 http://www.kde.nl | http://vizZzion.org |  GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Anything cut to length will be too short.