Re: CD-blanking leads to machine freeze with current -git [was: Re: CD writing in future Linux try #2 [ was: Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) ]]

* Alan Cox <[email protected]> [2006-02-10 23:23:54 +0000]:

> On Gwe, 2006-02-10 at 22:00 +0100, Marc Koschewski wrote:
> > than to run this as root. Couldn't cdrecord 'watch' ide load or - even better -
> > forcecast it? It knows blanking leads to inresponsiveness sometimes (even more due
> > to the fact that both devices share the same bus). Why not kind of  'renice'
> > the process that blanks?
>
> It isn't about load. You issue a command to an ATA device and there is
> no disconnect sequence as SCSI has. That bus is now locked until the
> command completes.
>
> There are mechanisms for certain cases like blanking and fixating that
> allow you to avoid this. Some cd record apps let you choose them.  There
> isn't anything the kernel can do however.
>
> Alan

Alan,

	I'm curious what caused the machine to freeze now whereas it didn't some
kernels ago. I don't know when I blanked a whole CD-RW the last time. But I know
it didn't freeze the machine. OK, maybe it's caused by some setting I missed (or
enabled) but I use the config now for along time. :/

I'm also curious when DELL will release their first mobile with SCSI onboard
instead of IDE. The chips are the same size...

Thanks anyone for clarification. There's still sooo much to learn. But the code
is here and I'll try to do my very best... ;)

Marc