Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

    Hi Matthias :)

 * Matthias Andree <[email protected]> dixit:

> > > Dou you like to verify that you have no clue on SCSI?
> >
> >     My system is clueless, too! If I write a CD before plugging my
> > USB storage device, my CD writer is on 0,0,0. If I plug my USB
> > storage device *before* doing any access, my cdwriter is on 1,0,0.
> > Pretty stable.
>
> Thanks for answering the question I directed towards Jörg, which proves
> Martin Mares's point that b,t,l is not stable.

    This is a typical problem with the BTL numbering that any 2.4.x
modular Linux kernel running without hotplug or udev has. And, at
least to my knowledge and in /dev/sg side, it can be fixed using
hotplug or udev (in 2.6.x). The BTL problem cannot.

> I think, Martin, too deserves Jörg's apology

    I think so. Martin was being very respectuf.

> and Jörg shouldn't only be more respectful, but listen to those who
> know their system better than he does. (Of course this'll turn into
> a flame feast how stupid Linux is.)

    And that's a pity, because it is a waste of human resources. And
the bigger problem is that I still don't know why BTL is better than
/dev/sg, and I've tried to understand it from the thread. I would be
glad to hear Jörg explanations, but he thinks I'm trying to FUD :(

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado