Re: How to call a function in a module from the kernel code !!! (Linux kernel)

On Feb 09, 2006, at 14:25, omkar lagu wrote:
hello sir,

we wanted to call a function in our module ll from shm.c file (which is in the kernel)

so we declared function pointer in shm.c
unsigned long long (*ptr1)(int)

we declared it as extern in shm.h
extern unsigned long long (*ptr1)(int)

then we declared also in our module  (ll)
extern unsigned long long (*ptr1)(int)

we initialized it to ptr1 = commun; in init module of ll.c where commun is we wanted to call from the kernel

but it gave an error as undefined refernce to ptr1 when we inserted our module..

can you help on this thing or can you give us a example regarding how it is done ??

It would help a lot if you could post a link to your source code. Let me point out (in case you don't know this already) that if you do what you describe and distribute the result, you are automatically licensing your ll.c file under the GPLv2. By distributing a derivative of both the Linux kernel and your proprietary module (You are taking Linux kernel sources and modifying them explicitly for your module), the result must be GPL. Also, I think what you are describing is basically impossible. I believe what you want to do is this:

/* in shm.c */
unsigned long long (*ptr1)(int);
EXPORT_SYMBOL(ptr1);

However this makes it impossible to reliably remove your module, because a process could race entering the function as the module loader is trying to remove the module.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.
  -- C.A.R. Hoare