Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

    Hi Joerg :)

 * Joerg Schilling <[email protected]> dixit:
> DervishD <[email protected]> wrote:
> > other half doesn't have it probably has a bad user interface. You
> > know that if a program uses a naming convention different from ALL
> > the rest of programs is because the program has a problem. You know
> > that if the only UNIX program out there that doesn't use /dev entries
> > to talk to devices is cdrecord, the problem *probably* is in
> > cdrecord, and not in UNIX...
>
> So why do you like to introduce a different naming scheme?

    Exactly, Joerg, why do YOU like to introduce a different naming
scheme? UNIX uses /dev/whatever, Win32 uses <UNIT>:, etc. Why do you
want to break those names, which are familiar to the user?

> Look into the real world and you will find that most SCSI related
> programs use a namischscheme that is either identical to what
> cdrecord does or a very similar one.

    I don't know any program, except cdrecord and family, which uses
your naming scheme, but I will more than happy to hear examples, look
at them and change my mind if I finally get convinced that the naming
scheme you're using is finally better. But instead of telling me to
look into the real world, tell me examples, please. I don't have at
home any SCSI bus and so I don't use SCSI related programs.

    Thanks in advance :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado