Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

    Hi Lennart :)

 * Lennart Sorensen <[email protected]> dixit:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:02:19PM +0100, DervishD wrote:
> >     cdrecord is GPL, so in the end nobody has the right to ask you to
> > modify it in ways you don't like or you don't want it to. That goes
> > with free software: you don't pay, you don't have the right to ask
> > for things. But, how about trying to listen to third parties? I mean,
> > you are probably OK ignoring my suggestions, I am probably a mediocre
> > programmer, but... do you _really_ think that you are more clever
> > than ALL the programmers in this mailing list? Do you _really_ think
> > that you have the correct answer and that ALL of them are plainly
> > wrong? Do you _REALLY_ think that EVERYBODY is wrong *except* you in
> > this issue about the user interface?
>
> Hmm, perhaps what should be done is that someone needs to write and
> maintain a patch that linux users can apply to cdrecord (since other OSs
> are different and hence have no reason to use such a patch), to make it
> behave in a manner which is sane on linux.  It should of course be
> clearly marked as having been changed in such a way.  It should use udev
> if available and HAL and whatever else is appropriate on a modern linux
> system, and if on an old system it should at least not break the
> interfaces that already worked on those systems in cdrecord.

    Matthias Andree posted such a patch last week, and he was ignored
by Joerg. In fact, he got an answer of "I haven't looked at it and I
never will" or something like that (check the list archives).

    Joerg was offered help to maintain a bit of code he doesn't want
to maintain and rejected it.

> cdrecord does a wonderful job writing CDs, once you get the silly
> command line syntax right and figure out which device option it
> wants you to tell it to access your write.  I still find the syntax
> of driveropts=option=value is a bit odd, although the linux kernel
> does the same thing for some kernel boot arguments as far as I
> recall, so who am I to argue.

    cdrecord is a good tool, no doubt about that. IMHO it can be
improved by changing the user interface and getting rid of useless
warnings, but nonetheless it is a good tool. The problem is Joerg
attitude...

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado