Re: The issues for agreeing on a virtualization/namespaces implementation.

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:52:15 -0700
[email protected] (Eric W. Biederman) wrote:

> "Serge E. Hallyn" <[email protected]> writes:
>

> > What I tried to do in a proof of concept long ago was to have
> > CLONE_NETNS mean that you get access to all the network devices, but
> > then you could drop/add them.  Conceptually I prefer that to getting an
> > empty namespace, but I'm not sure whether there's any practical use
> > where you'd want that...
>
> My observation was that the network stack does not come out cleanly
> as a namespace unless you adopt the rule that a network device
> belongs to exactly one network namespace.
>
> With that rule dealing with the network stack is just a matter of making
> some currently global variables/data structures per container.
>
> A pain to do the first round but easy to maintain once you are there
> and the logic of the code doesn't need to change.
>
> Eric

Since a major change risks breaking lots of stuff you would need to have
a complete test suite that could be run to show you didn't break anything.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger