Re: athlon 64 dual core tsc out of sync

On Saturday 04 February 2006 20:24, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Alistair John Strachan writes:

> >> Excellent question.  What's the status of this bug?  It's a
> >> showstopper for a ton of people on the JACK list...
> >
> > As Andi has recounted many times already, pmtmr is now the
> > default on x86-64 if it's built in. I'm sure you can confirm
> > this from the sources.
>
> That's unhelpful unless you are suggesting that Linux no
> longer supports running the 32-bit kernel on 64-bit hardware.
> If that is the case, it ought to detect the incompatibility
> and refuse to boot.

To be fair, the original poster made no indication that he wasn't running a
64bit kernel. It's obvious from subsequent posts that he isn't.

While I agree pmtmr is sensible on the X2, unlike on x86-64, x86 supports the
clock= option for overriding the default.

It's really only installing new distros that might be problematic (in which
case maybe they can patch the kernel to use pmtmr?).

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.