Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

On Čt 02-02-06 13:27:08, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Random thoughts:
>
> - swsusp has been a multi-year ongoing source of churn and bug reports.
>   It hasn't been a big success and we have a way to go yet.

You don't get the success reports, only bug reports. It tends to work
these days. I don't get success reports, too, but I'm not flooded with
bugreports for distribution, either. (And actually see people using
suspend2/swsusp).

> - People seem to be doing too much development on the swsusp core and not
>   enough development out where the actual problems are: drivers which don't
>   suspend and resume correctly.

We only started developing swsusp core again at 11/2005. Problem with
drivers is that I mostly do not have affected hardware. [Okay, there
are some problems with Core Duo I can reproduce here, smp-only, but
the machine is flakey, anyway, so it will take some time.]

> - If you want my cheerfully uninformed opinion, we should toss both of
>   them out and implement suspend3, which is based on the kexec/kdump
>   infrastructure.  There's so much duplication of intent here that it's not
>   funny.  And having them separate like this weakens both in the area where
>   the real problems are: drivers.

I thought about it (at around 11/2005), but loosing 8+ MB of ram,
permanently, is perhaps too big price to pay?
								Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!