Re: CD writing - related question

Pavel Machek wrote:
On Mon 30-01-06 18:30:29, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Please take this as a question to elicit information, not an invitation for argument.

In Linux currently:
SCSI - liiks like SCSI
USB - looks like SCSI
Firewaire - looks like SCSI
SATA - looks like SCSI
Compact flash and similar - looks like SCSI

Your definition of "looks like scsi" is way too broad. CF looks like
PCMCIA and that in turn is ide chip on isa-like bus.

(unless you plug it to usb reader)

I was unaware of any serious use of PCMCIA reader cards therese days, as you note the CD shows up as an sd device. I have a laptop which might have a card slot, if it takes CD I'll pull one from my camera and try it there instead of the USB reader.

The question is still why not make all devices look like SCSI, and use one set of drivers and a bit of glue. Redhat used to use ide-scsi by default if my memory serves, and the overhead wasn't an issue even back on my 1st Linux laptop running Slackware on a Thinkpad 486-25 (the fat one, not the 486-16 -;).

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])