CD writing - related question

Please take this as a question to elicit information, not an invitation for argument.

In Linux currently:
 SCSI - liiks like SCSI
 USB - looks like SCSI
 Firewaire - looks like SCSI
 SATA - looks like SCSI
 Compact flash and similar - looks like SCSI
 ATAPI - looks different unless ide-scsi used

Was there a reason, a technical reason, why the minor blotches in ide-scsi weren't fixed so that everything could look the same and share the same device naming form? The DMA issue is solved for blocks, and several people have stated to the list that the remaining issues could be solved in minimal time. Seeing no disagreement, I'll assume that's true.

There are separate IDE drivers for disk, tape, floppy, and CD, and the only reason I ever heard was that ide-scsi adds overhead. I did some tests using a mighty Pentium-II 350, and there was no overhead with disk or CD (within the limits of measurement). So there's no huge CPU penalty, why then the decision to have the separate ide drivers?

The last time I tried, there was one thing which didn't work quite right doing ZIP drives unless ide-scsi was used, and MO drives don't seem to work any other way, but I haven't tried since about 2.6.6 or so, that info could be dated.

This is NOT an argument for change, it may be a reminder that ide-scsi is not unused, I just never saw any technical reason mentioned.

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])