Re: CD writing in future Linux try #2

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
Someone remind me why the whole world is a prisoner to Joerg's cd
burning program?

Anybody can write their own, and if Joerg is a pain to work with that
is a double extra incentive for this other implementation to be
written.

In fact I'm very surprised this hasn't happened already.

Because Jorg has maintained the program for a decade, has found and supported
new vendors and devices, he seems to get new hardware sooner than most, and
many programs and scripts use his program as an output stage.

Because cdrecord (and recently -prodvd) work. And they are "somewhat free".
There are not much dvd-dl writing programs around that do it without crashing
freezing or foobaring the disc. You are right, I could go to Nero or Nero4Linux
("the best of burning from Windows now for Linux"), but I don't.

he thinks his
DVD-pro thing will make money but the last time I checked he didn't tke credit
cards or paypal

The last time I checked, prodvd was free for non-commercial purposes and - as
far as I can *guess* - is free for commercial purposes as long as they give
notice that it is being used. Unless commercials disguise using the
non-commercial key.

Free, but not open source, and that's an issue with a mission critical application. For home use it doesn't matter, for business use it really does. Only one person has the source, and he could be hit by a bus like anyone else. Or if he uses as much tact in person as he does in email, he might become unavailable at any moment.

I wasn't complaining about the price of ProDVD, just noting that when it first came out I tried to buy a license and found that Paypal wasn't an option.

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])