Re: RFC [patch 13/34] PID Virtualization Define new task_pid api

Greg <[email protected]> writes:

>> Well that assertion will fail.
>> At that point getppid() will return 0, and getpid() will return 1.
>>
>> Processes getting confused is their own problem.
>>

> This flavour of clone should be used with great care then since it breaks the
> usual unix process semantics. :)

Do you know of a flavor of clone (besides fork) that doesn't share that
property?

For the most part I am not breaking the usual process semantics I work
very hard to preserve it but simply which pids you see are different.
Which what would be expected.

>> Now there will be a pid that the parent sees that will not be 0.
>> And that is what the parent will see in the context of wait.
>>
>> In my code I introduced a wid (wait id) for that purpose.
>>

> Is it possible to see the code ?

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/linux-2.6-ns.git/

The tree is still at the proof of concept level but it does come fairly close
to what has been discussed.

Eric