Re: 2.6.15-rt16

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 17:16 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> No, but I don't use an initrd, so my failure was first that it couldn't
> recognize my harddrives.  So I compiled in the necessary drivers into my
> kernel, and it booted right up to the GDM login.  I logged in, and was
> going to reply to you, but I guess I have a different network card since
> I had no network.

Ok, I took the config file I sent you, globally substituted '=y' for
'=m' and rebuilt, then booted that kernel. Other than a message that it
was unable to open the console (udev wasn't started) I got the exact
same failure (same panic backtrace).

> > I'm fairly certain that the initrd contains the appropriate modules,
> > since I regenerate the initrd each time I generate a new kernel, but
> > I'll go back and verify.
> >
> > I'll also convert modules to compiled in and see if that makes a
> > difference.
>
> Thanks, I've been burnt before with incompatible modules in initrd, that
> I now only use compiled in modules that are needed to boot (ide, ext3,
> etc).  When compiling 3 different kernels with several different configs
> constantly for the same machine, it just becomes easier to not use an
> initrd.

One of the things I wanted to see was how the -rt patch worked with
SELinux, so I decided to try and run a kernel that looked like a distro
kernel (in this case FC4).  I just put together some scripting logic to
build the kernel and module tree three times (athlon64, p3smp, and
duron).  After I've rebuilt, I install on each target system using a
shell script that deletes the old module tree, rsyncs a new one,
installs the matching kernel and builds a new initrd.

Hmmm, FC4 is based on 2.6.14.x. Did something change in the 2.6.15
series that needs a user-space change as well? (I'm running a current
FC4 rootfs).

Clark

--
Clark Williams <[email protected]>