Re: 2.6.15-rt16

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 15:51 -0600, Clark Williams wrote:

> > Could you make sure that your modules in the initrd that you use are the
> > ones created with the LATENCY_TRACE option.  After converting all the
> > modules into compiled in options, I successfully booted the kernel.  So
> > you might have an incompatibility with the modules in initrd, when you
> > turn on LATENCY_TRACE.
>
> Did you ever duplicated the failure?

No, but I don't use an initrd, so my failure was first that it couldn't
recognize my harddrives.  So I compiled in the necessary drivers into my
kernel, and it booted right up to the GDM login.  I logged in, and was
going to reply to you, but I guess I have a different network card since
I had no network.

> I'm fairly certain that the initrd contains the appropriate modules,
> since I regenerate the initrd each time I generate a new kernel, but
> I'll go back and verify.
>
> I'll also convert modules to compiled in and see if that makes a
> difference.

Thanks, I've been burnt before with incompatible modules in initrd, that
I now only use compiled in modules that are needed to boot (ide, ext3,
etc).  When compiling 3 different kernels with several different configs
constantly for the same machine, it just becomes easier to not use an
initrd.

-- Steve