Re: CD writing in future Linux try #2 [ was: Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) ]

On 1/31/06, Patrick McFarland <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 January 2006 06:01, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Danger: Highly Flammable Material. <!>
>
> I formally request that Joerg Schilling be banned from the LKML until he
> learns how to take bugs in his program seriously. cdrecord has bugs, people
> hit them, and he won't either fix the bugs, or hand maintainership over to
> someone who wants to fix them.

Banning Joerg (or anyone else for that matter) from LKML doesn't solve anything.
You may agree or disagree with him, but just shutting him up on LKML
doesn't solve any problems. Discussion of the issue, technical points
and counterpoints etc solve issues.
Cencorship is never a solution, that way lies stagnation and a
one-sided world view.

> Not only that, he constantly trolls on the LKML about how awesome cdrecord is,
> and how stupid kernel developers are. He also rears his head in any
> discussion on CD burning under Linux, even though it not always has anything
> to do with cdrecord; and totally derails any such discussion.

Do you have to have an app using a given feature of the kernel to be
allowed to participate in a discussion? That's news to me...

> In addition to the aforementioned problems, he also has a serious hate for
> Debian, and the Debian developers who maintain the cdrecord package; in
> addition, he has lesser hate for all Linux developers, users, and basically
> anyone who isn't using Schillix or worshipping the ground he walks on.

If you can't stand a given person then add him/her to your personal killfile.
The fact that a person likes or dislikes a specific group of people or
a specific Linux distibution or whatever may make them obnoxious or
disagreeable to you personally, but that doesn't mean that they
shouldn't be allowed to express their views.   You are always free to
ignore Joerg if you want.

> I believe LKML is for serious discussion of Linux kernel development only, and
> for this to optimally continue, we need to purge the list of trolls like him.

And who's to be the judge of who's a troll and who's not?  you? me?
some third party?

I personally agree with some things Joerg is saying and disagree with
others but I still believe he should be allowed to speak, and a mail
such as yours is at least as annoying/offending/trollish as anything
he has said so far.

If he bothers you, just ignore him.

Now let's get back to a technical discussion.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html