Re: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders

<trimming the wide Cc list due to complaints>

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Notice how the GPLv2 text says that it applies to any program that just says it is licensed under the General Public License.

I'm convinced _that_ is how you get "no version specified" in section 9.
You have a program that just says "This is licensed under the GPL",
instead of doing the full thing.

And I say that the Linux kernel has contained a notice placed by the
copyright holder (the "COPYING" file) that says that it's to be
distributed under (and I quote from the top):

                   GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                      Version 2, June 1991

and that's it.

Well, most people would recognise this to be exactly the same text of the GPLv2 as published by the FSF, as used by many software programmes:

	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

and hence would have trouble recognising that you intended this to also be the text governing exactly which version(s) of the GPL apply linux specifically.

Note that if what you say is correct, that the immutable header of the GPLv2 acts so as to apply a version restriction on any specific covered programme per default, then that would mean:

1a. The "If the Program does not specify a version" text of Section 9
    of the GPLv2 is utterly without effect and meaningless.

1b. Indeed, the whole of section 9 might be without effect (the
    version is already specified). (It'd depend on the exact
    text of the preamble maybe, but it'd be quite ambigious).

2. Hence all GPLv2 programmes which do not have include some
   additional "or any later version" preamble text definitely will
   not automatically upgrade to GPLv3 when it is finally published.

You've mentioned intent a few times before as being a strong factor in interpretation[1], you have to therefore ask what RMS and the FSF intended when they included section 9: did they really intend that the GPLv2's 'Version 2, June 1991' would completely override the text regarding cases where "the Program does not specify a version number of this License"? The intent surely of section 9 was to allow for the GPLv2 to be upgraded smoothly, even where a programme applied it imprecisely.

Hence, logically, the intent of the framers must have been that the 'Version 2, June 1991' was to act as a version identifier for the GPL text only, rather than to be interpreted as the version applying to the whole programme.

That the licence then goes on to discuss how to apply the GPL (the third part you mentioned before), and mention how to do so (including the "any later version" text) further suggests that simply including a copy of the the text of the license itself does not constitute tying down the version.

Note that I'm only arguing with you on your interpretation of the GPL - which I believe is flawed and deserves to be contradicted lest others assume it - not on which version of the GPL applies to Linux in its aggregate (which definitely is "v2 only", and has been for ages).

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	[email protected]	[email protected]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: