Re: PCI layer: Need for enable/disable counting (was disable PCI device if it is enabled before probing)

Hello,

Alan Cox wrote:
On Llu, 2006-01-30 at 20:33 +0100, Markus Lidel wrote:
I've searched for a function enabled() or so, but didn't find anything. Could you tell me the right way to do it normally?
Right now there isn't one. I've hit this problem with the new libata

OK, at least i haven't overseen something :-D

layer stuff having successfully disabled my root pci bridge on unload at
least once.

Hmmm, think this is something everyone could use...

Would be easy to add one but I suspect it should be rcounted so that
enable/disable just stack naturally ?

Sounds great to me... So the verification if the device is enabled before could be completely removed from my and probably others code...

What do people want from such an interface and should it also start boot
enabled devices at a count of 1 or just the bridges/video class
devices ?

Hmmm, i don't know what happens if a boot enabled device is disabled, but from my point of view i would start at 1 :-D

Probably also the probing function could also enable the device, so the subsystems don't have to do it on there own? But because i don't know PCI stuff very well i don't know if this makes sense at all...

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Markus Lidel
Markus Lidel (Senior IT Consultant)