PCI layer: Need for enable/disable counting (was disable PCI device if it is enabled before probing)

On Llu, 2006-01-30 at 20:33 +0100, Markus Lidel wrote:
> I've searched for a function enabled() or so, but didn't find anything.
> Could you tell me the right way to do it normally?

Right now there isn't one. I've hit this problem with the new libata
layer stuff having successfully disabled my root pci bridge on unload at
least once.

Would be easy to add one but I suspect it should be rcounted so that
enable/disable just stack naturally ?

What do people want from such an interface and should it also start boot
enabled devices at a count of 1 or just the bridges/video class
devices ?

Alan