Re: pthread_mutex_unlock (was Re: sched_yield() makes OpenLDAP slow)

Howard Chu wrote:
David Schwartz wrote:

The time at which the decision takes effect is immaterial; the point is that the decision can only be made from the set of options available at time T.

Per your analogy, if a new bid comes in at time T+1, it can't have any effect on which of the bids shall be accepted.

    Third, there's the ambiguity of the standard. It says the "sceduling
policy" shall decide, not that the scheduler shall decide. If the policy is
to make a conditional or delayed decision, that is still perfectly valid
policy. "Whichever thread requests it first" is a valid scheduler policy.

I am not debating what the policy can decide. Merely the set of choices from which it may decide.

OK, you believe that the mutex *must* be granted to a blocking thread
at the time of the unlock. I don't think this is unreasonable from the
wording (because it does not seem to be completely unambiguous english),
however think about this -

A realtime system with tasks A and B, A has an RT scheduling priority of
1, and B is 2. A and B are both runnable, so A is running. A takes a mutex
then sleeps, B runs and ends up blocked on the mutex. A wakes up and at
some point it drops the mutex and then tries to take it again.

What happens?

I haven't programmed realtime systems of any complexity, but I'd think it
would be undesirable if A were to block and allow B to run at this point.

Now this has nothing to do with PI or SCHED_OTHER, so behaviour is exactly
determined by our respective interpretations of what it means for "the
scheduling policy to decide which task gets the mutex".

What have I proven? Nothing ;) but perhaps my question could be answered
by someone who knows a lot more about RT systems than I.

Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.