Re: anon unions are cool

On Jan 23, 2006, at 22:39, Albert Cahalan wrote:
Then there is the other weird side where only the leaders of
thread groups are placed in sessions and process groups.

That's not at all weird. It fits perfectly with the use of the tgid as the POSIX PID and the use of the "pid" (ugh) as the POSIX thread ID.

Aside from POSIX just being arguably weird, the only weird things here are:

1. kill() not returning errno=ESRCH when it should
2. the name "pid" being used oddly in the kernel

And actually, my use of the task->pid member was correct. The "pid virtualization" patches are virtualizing not only the process IDs, but the thread IDs as well (the whole point is to provide completely unique PID/TID spaces, so everything needs to be virtualized). In any case, it was just a poorly chosen example (because that particular virtualization bit was not necessary). I agree with you that the kernel's behavior is weird, but it has its reasons and a lot of history. If you think it's that important, a cleanup patch (assuming it's not too intrusive) would probably be welcomed.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.
  -- Anthony de Boer