Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: ATI RS480-based motherboard: stuck while booting with kernel >= 2.6.15 rc1

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 11:01:25AM -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> This moves the previously widely-used ehci-pci.c BIOS handoff
> code into the pci-quirks.c file, replacing the less widely used
> "early handoff" version that seems to cause problems lately.
>
> One notable change:  the "early handoff" version always enabled
> an SMI IRQ ... and did so even if the pre-Linux code said it was
> not using EHCI (and not expecting EHCI SMIs).  Looks like a goof
> in a workaround for some unknown BIOS version.
>
> This merged version only forcibly enables those IRQs when pre-Linux
> code says it's using EHCI.  And now it always forces them off "just
> in case".

Thanks for posting this, it fixes my EHCI + APIC error, and makes my
laptop work just fine.

Turns out that 2.6.14 worked for it, but 2.6.15 didn't.  git bisect a
zillion times later narrowed it down to the usb early handoff stuff but
due to merge issues, it was tough to track down the exact patch.

For fun I tried this one on top of the latest -mm, and it works!

So, care to clean it up to make it feel better to you and send it to me
again so I can add it to my tree?  I know the next SuSE kernel will need
it :)

thanks,

greg k-h