Re: ATI RS480-based motherboard: stuck while booting with kernel >= 2.6.15 rc1

"Carlo E. Prelz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> 	Subject: Re: ATI RS480-based motherboard: stuck while booting with kernel >= 2.6.15 rc1
> 	Date: sab 21 gen 06 12:58:22 -0800
>
> Quoting Andrew Morton ([email protected]):
>
> > If you have a web server somewhere, just upload the .jpg file.  Or send it
> > to me and I can do that.
>
> The latest screenshot can be found at
> http://www.fluido.as/files/images/screenshot.jpg
>
> > > Calling initcall 0xffffffff8026836c: pci_init+0x0/0x2b()
> > >

> > > And then the machine freezes. I may add that, with 2.6.14.6, I am
> > > getting errors like:
> >
> > OK, it looks like a PCI initcall went South.  Can you please add this, then
> > when it hangs, record the last few lines then send us those, as well as the
> > output of `lspci -vx'?
>
> These lines appear at the end of the logfile:
>
> pci_init: 10025950
> pci_init: 10025a3f
> pci_init: 1002437a
> pci_init: 10024379
> pci_init: 10024374
> pci_init: 10024375
> pci_init: 10024373
>
> and 1002:4373 is the USB2 (EHCI) controller. I attach the output of
> lspci -vx. Even with 2.6.14.6, I have problems with USB. It did not
> work at all, then I downloaded the latest bios, and now, right after
> boot, usb works OK.

OK, so it sounds like quirk_usb_disable_ehci() caused your machine to hang
with the old BIOS.  That's fairly bad behaviour from the kernel, even
though the BIOS presumably had some problems.

> But after some time (possibly after the first APIC
> error message), newly inserted USB disks are not detected anymore, and
> I had one case in which a mounted disk was not accessible anymore.

Can you please gather some more details on this and prepare a new report?
The full demsg output, machine description, etc.  It might be best to do
this via a new bugzilla.kernel.org record so we know where to find it.

Thanks.