Re: BTTV broken on recent kernels

Michael Krufky wrote:

Alistair, Lee: thank you for your replies. Sadly the bug is in the Nvidia binary. Changing the driver to nv from nvidia did resolve the issue. Now I have to decide whether I like accelerated 3d more, or using the tv tuner more (till Nvidia fixes the driver). Thank you for your time. I won't waste any more LKML bandwidth on this (Nvidia bug). Thanks again. Bob

Not that I would recommend the binary nvidia driver, but:

You can probably get bttv to work despite this overlay bug by using "grabdisplay" mode instead. There is an option for it in xawtv. The difference is, in overlay mode, the capture card is writing directly to videoram. Using grabdisplay mode eliminates this optimization, and would be a decent workaround for you.

Hope this helps,

Michael

I haven't tried using nv with grabdisplay instead of overlay, but I have recently run a large (nvidia...and no, I don't work for them) patch against the 81.78 driver (about 5 small patches all in one) and it works successfully on 2.6.16-rc1-git3 (in both grabdisplay and overlay modes). The only thing I noted is that the old nvidia binaries wanted a channel frequency offset of 108, but with the (heavily patched) 81.78 driver, you don't need an channel frequency offset (both xawtv and mplayer). Your test is simple to try though, and if it doesn't work, I'll reply and mention it. Thanks for your reply.
Bob