BTTV broken on recent kernels

Hi. The last several kernel versions have led to broken bttv (up to 4 or 5 kernel versions ago, I could watch tv on either mplayer or xawtv), but lately bttv is broken. My card is an 'bt878 compatible built by ATI (ATI TV Wonder VE). I'm pretty certain it worked as late as 2.6.14-git7. I've peeked around /Changes and didn't see anything. I'm using the same build script as before, and a piece of lsmod shows
serial_core            14848  1 8250
rtc                     9524  0
tuner                  36908  0
bttv                  148564  0
video_buf              15748  1 bttv
compat_ioctl32          1152  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            7432  1 bttv
v4l2_common             6528  2 tuner,bttv
btcx_risc               3720  1 bttv
ir_common               7812  1 bttv
tveeprom               12304  1 bttv
i2c_core               14864  4 tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom
videodev                6912  1 bttv
snd_emu10k1            94628  2 snd_emu10k1_synth
..........also, a chunk of lspci shows:
0000:00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 07) 0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 02) 0000:00:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 02) ....it's just that I get a blank (screen blanking due to no signal) screen when I start a tv application. I can try to change channels/tune frequencies, and it looks like the applications are trying, but nothing gets tuned in. To be fair, I must mention that I *ahem* taint the kernel with Nvidia stuff, and recently upgraded gcc (although it has always worked well with tainted kernel, and it broke before I upgraded gcc (to gcc version 4.0.2) on Debian Sarge. If you *really* want, I can revert XF86Config to use non-nvidia drivers (and revert back to the old version of gcc) and give a bug report from that, but I suspect things will remain broken. Mplayer compiles very well with the new version of gcc, and the new kernel (buit with the new version of gcc) does everything else (sound, firewire, cd/dvd/networking, disk I/O etc.) without problems.
Thanks in advance,
Bob