Re: RFC: ipath ioctls and their replacements

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 17:17 -0800, David S. Miller wrote:

> It's going to give you strict typing, and extensible attributes for
> the configuration attributes you define.  So if you determine later
> "oh we need to add this knob for changing X" you can do that without
> breaking the existing interface.

Wow.  OK, that is not immediately obvious from reading the code.  The
only modules in drivers/ that seem to use netlink are iscsi, connector,
and w1.  It's more extensive in net/, I see.

> Try not to get discouraged, give it a shot :)

It's not obvious what chunk of the the tree is a good example to follow.
Just look what happened when I suggested to Greg that I use the Dell
firmware loader as an example :-)

The closest approximation I can find to documentation is something Neil
Horman wrote over a year ago:

http://people.redhat.com/nhorman/papers/netlink.pdf

And a "this module does a particularly natty job that all coders would
do well to emulate" pointer would be most welcome.

I notice that libnetlink appears to have disappeared without a trace,
along with Alexey.

	<b

--
Bryan O'Sullivan <[email protected]>