Re: wireless: recap of current issues (configuration)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:24:41PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> If I have told my equipment to obey UK law I expect it to do so. If I
> hop on the train to France and forget to revise my configuration I'd
> prefer it also believed the APs

It's not that you might forget to revise your configuration, but that
the vast majority of users will not revise anything, and still expect
things to "just work".  Kind of like multi-band cell phones.

This isn't that big of a deal in the 2.4GHz band, but when you start
talking about 5GHz, especially in France, things get a lot trickier.

Of course, all of this automagic "just work" crap only affects the STAs.
For AP operation, we have to trust the user to set the correct locale --
I don't see any way of including a sane "just-works" default in the
stock kernel.org tree, so I think the default should be be "none".  This
way the user is forced to explicitly set the regdomain in order for the
AP startup to succeed.

...and pray that the AP isn't migrating to a different regdomain, but
there's really nothing anyone can do about that.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL