Re: wireless: recap of current issues (configuration)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:51:31PM +0200, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, ext Stuffed Crust wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:05:33PM +0200, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> > > Regarding 802.11d and regulatory domains, the stack should also be able to
> > > stick to one regulatory domain if asked so by userspace, whatever the APs
> > > around tell us.
> >
> > ...and in doing so, violate the local regulatory constraints.  :)
> The other option is to conform to whatever the AP you associate with
> advertises. In fact, this is how it should be done according to 802.11d.
> Unfortunately, this doesn't ensure local regulatory constraints compliance
> unless you expect each and every APs to do the Right Thing ;-)

If regulators come down on someone, it seems like common sense
that they would be more lenient on mobile stations complying with a
misconfigured AP than they would be with a mobile station ignoring a
properly configured AP?  I know expecting common sense from government
regulators is optimistic, but still... :-)

Of course when we are the AP, the ability to adjust these parameters
could be very important.  No?

John
--
John W. Linville