Re: Kernel 2.6.15.1 + NFS is 4 times slower than FTP!?

On Maw, 2006-01-17 at 13:24 -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Alan, is it normal for FTP to be 2x as fast as NFS?
> With 100mbps, I never seemed to have any issues, but with GIGABIT I
> definitely see all sorts of weird issues.

NFS performance is limited by the fact it is a file system so sees only
what the file system can tell it. It also takes a hit because it has
strict rules on committing data to disk before acknowledging it (so data
is not lost over a crash). That makes NFS a bigger user of CPU resources
and more disk dependant than FTP which simply throws the entire file
down the pipe when in binary mode, does no processing and makes no
guarantee about restarts or what hits disk