Re: bad pmd filemap.c, oops; 2.4.30 and 2.4.32

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Roberto Nibali wrote:

Thanks for the precision. So logically we should expect it to break sooner or later ?

It is the same .config as one that crashed before, except that it has DEBUG_SLAB defined. If it does not crash, then adding pci=noacpi to the command fixes the problem for me.

Hmm, I'm not fully convinced yet, however glad that it has been a bit more stable for you.

The stability only lasted for a week. Last night I got another bad pmd message, an oops, and a hang. I was not able to capture the oops.

Sidenote: We boot our systems having built-in AIC7* SCSI on moderately cheap motherboards with "bad" interrupt routing using pci=noacpi on 2.4.x kernels to evade instability.

I suggest that if you experience more problems using this setup _and_ would like to continue debugging the issue, we take this off-list into a private discussion.

At this point, I'm going to stick with 2.6. If I get more time to debug this laster, I'll drop back down to the modified 2.4 with HIGHIO disabled.

[Another thing which would be interesting to test regarding the HIGHIO setting is a RedHat based 2.4.x kernel, since according to some SCSI driver's documentation, RedHat had a different HIGHIO convention.]

Thanks. I'll keep that on my list of things to try if I ever get back to this. I appreciate the pointers.

-Chris