Re: bad pmd filemap.c, oops; 2.4.30 and 2.4.32

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Roberto Nibali wrote:

After a little more than one day up with 2.4.32 SMP+ACP+aic7xxx, I got another bad pmd and an oops this morning at 4:23am. I'm going to boot vanilla 2.4.32 with nosmp and acpi=off.

Your oops does not make much sense, could you enable following, please:

CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y

kernel, sysrq, and frame_pointer were already enabled. I'll enable debug_slab, as well.

booting with "nosmp acpi=off" did not help.  The box hung as before, at

Could you boot with pci=noacpi and report again? The difference is that ACPI will still be used but not for IRQ routing. I have a few boxes out with 2.4.x kernels and Adaptec HBAs that need this to work reliably.

Are you interested in results from "pci=noacpi" by itself or in conjunction with nosmp?

What's the SCSI BIOS version?

The SCSI controller is an onboard AIC 7899 (in a Dell PowerEdge 2650), and reports itself as "25309".

What's the diff between /proc/interrupt and lspci -v on those kernels, when they've finished the booting sequence?

If you find time, send me your BIOS settings and your .config in private email. I didn't track this thread from the beginning, so I don't know if you've already done this.

<http://hashbrown.cts.ucla.edu/pub/oops-200512/> has the .config, lspci -v, and /proc/interrupts for 2.6.14.4 and 2.4.32.

-Chris