Re: wireless: recap of current issues (configuration)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:32:02 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> IMHO there's not much point in allowing changes. I have a feeling that
> might create icky issues you don't want to have to tackle when the
> solution is easy by just not allowing it. Part of my thinking is that
> different virtual types have different structures associated, so
> changing it needs re-creating structures anyway.

You are right. But it breaks compatibility with iwconfig unless we
emulate 'iwconfig mode' command by deleting and adding interface. This
means some events are generated, hotplug/udev gets involved etc.  In the
worst case it can mean that we end up with interface with a different
name.

> And different virtual
> device types might even be provided by different kernel modules so you
> don't carry around AP mode if you don't need it.

I'm not sure about your concept of softmac modules. I wrote an e-mail
some time ago explaining why I don't think it is useful and I haven't
got any reply. Please, could you answer that e-mail first? (See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113404158202233&w=2)

Could you also explain how would you implement separate module for AP
mode? How would you bind that module to the rest of ieee80211,
especially in the rx path?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Benc