Re: e100 in 2.6.15 fails unless irqpoll ist used

Andrew Morton wrote:
Nils Rennebarth <[email protected]> wrote:

An upgrade from 2.6.14.3 to 2.6.15 on my testmachine disabled my network cards: no packets are sent or received.

There is the following in dmesg:

usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.3
irq 11: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
  [<c012ae21>] __report_bad_irq+0x31/0x77
  [<c012aef4>] note_interrupt+0x75/0x99
  [<c012a9f0>] __do_IRQ+0x65/0x91

Rebooting with irqpoll will make the network cards work. The above message will appeare nonetheless.

This means that your IRQ routing broke and the card's interrupt requests
are not getting through.

This is likely to be an ACPI regression.  Please raise a report at
bugzilla.kernel.org, generate full `dmesg -s 1000000' output for both
2.6.14.3 and for 2.6.15 and attach them to the report, thanks.
Thanks for your fast reply.

As I do not have access to my work machine from home I could only answer today, and try what I might, I am not able to reproduce the mentioned behaviour any more.

The first thing I tried last Wednesday was to pull out an unused Adaptec AHA-2940U SCSI controller which happened to be in the machine for testing purposes only.

This "fixed" the network cards as well and now reinserting the SCSI adapter does not break them again, neither can I reproduce the "nobody cared" message. Unfortunately I also overwrote the saved dmesg from a boot where the network cards *did* break.

So the only thing I have is a dmesg (which I cannot reproduce) where irqpoll seems to have fixed the problem, and apart form the missing "nobody cares" plus the backtrace, it differs from the current one in the order the hardware is detected.

I'll be more cautious to save useful information if said behaviour raises its ugly head again, but for now, thanks and sorry for the noise.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards

Nils Rennebarth
--
VarySys Technologies GmbH & Co. KG
Moenchhaldenstraße 28

Download the free software trial version of PacketAlarm now
http://www.packetalarm.com/download/