Re: no carrier when using forcedeth on MSI K8N Neo4-F

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:37:14PM -0500, Arne R. van der Heyde wrote:
> I am trying to connect two identical MSI K8N Neo4-F servers with NVIDIA
> nForce4 gigabit Lan ports. When the two ports are connected together via
> a crossover cable, neither computer is able to detect a carrier on the
> Lan ports and are not able to communicate. When either of the nForce4
> gigabit port is connected to a Lan port on another computer with a
> different Lan hardware or to a port on a switch the forcedeth drivers
> detect a carrier and are able to communicate.

Gigabit does NOT use cross over cables.  You connect gig ports with a
normal ethernet cable at all times unless you are connecting to a 10 or
100mbit port at the other end.  When running at gigabit speed, there are
4 pairs of wire in use with full duplex on all 4 pairs.  10 and 100mbit
have a single pair for data each way, and hence need the cross over when
not connecting to a switch/router.

> It appears that the nForce4 Gigabit ports are not generating a carrier.
> Does the nForce4 not provide standard ethernet ports? If they are
> standard ethernet ports, how do I tell forcedeth to generate a carrier?
> Also how do I get forcedeth to run at a Gigabit?

Hopefully using the right cable type will solve the problem.

Len Sorensen