Re: no carrier when using forcedeth on MSI K8N Neo4-F

"linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)" <[email protected]> writes:

> You need to use the correct kind of cross-over cable for the Gigabit
> ports.

Correct, with all pairs crossed.
I don't force-death but I think most gigabit cards (and some 100BaseTX)
work with plain cable as well (using auto MDI-X, and auto-polarity
if needed).

> Then, you need to set both ports manually because there
> is no hardware (the switch) to handle the auto-configuration. The
> default is usually `autoneg on`. This tells the switch to
> auto-configure. Connected to another port, not a switch, this
> means nothing and the device remains dormant.

Again, I don't know nforce, but normal cards with autonegotiation
(i.e., (almost?) all 100BaseTX and newer) can negotiate speed and
duplex without need for a switch. BTW from net POI switches and
cards are DTEs, there is no special distinction WRT autonegotiation.
--
Krzysztof Halasa