Re: [patch 00/62] sem2mutex: -V1

Hi there,

On Friday 13 January 2006 14:44, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>     - it should stay a semaphore (if it's a genuine counting
>       semaphore)
>
>     - or it should get converted to a completion (if it's used as
>       a completion)
>
>     - or it should get converted to struct work (if it's used as a
>       workflow synchronizer).

Could we get for each of these and a mutex:

 - description
 - common use case
 - small argument why this and nothing else should be used there

This would help driver writers a lot deciding what to use when, I think.

PS: After reading the Linux Kernel one could write a PhD thesis
    just containing explanations, examples and measurements
    of sychronization primitives, since Linux implements at least
    most of them AFAIK :-)

Thanks & Regards

Ingo Oeser