Re: 2G memory split

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Mark Lord wrote:

> So, the patch would now look like this:

Yes, except I think we need to make the "depends on" include !X86_PAE:

> +choice
> +	depends on EXPERIMENTAL

	depends on EXPERIMENTAL && !X86_PAE

since PAE depends on the 3G/1G split (we could make it work for a pure
2G/2G split, but that's a separate issue, and then we'd need to change the
CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET defaults to be something like

	default 0x80000000 if VMSPLIT_2G && X86_PAE

(but that's definitely not appropriate for now - that's a separate issue,
after somebody has verified that PAE and 2G:2G works)

Also, I think the arch/i386/mm/init.c snippet should just be removed. If
we make the split configurable, I don't see that we should warn about a
configuration where you have less memory than the point where the split
makes sense. A distribution (either something like Fedora _or_ just a
internal company "standard image") migth decide to use 2G:2G, but not all
machines might have lots of memory. Warning about it would be silly.

Anyway, this should go into -mm, and I'd rather have it stay there for a
while. I've got tons of stuff for 2.6.16 already, I'd prefer to not see
this kind of thing too..

		Linus