Re: 2G memory split

* Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It does annoy me that any 1G i386 machine will end up with 1/8th of
> the memory as highmem. A patch like this one has been used in various
> places since the early 2.4 days at least, is there a reason why it
> isn't merged yet? Note I just hacked this one up, but similar patches
> abound I'm sure. Bugs are mine.

yes, i made it totally configurable in 2.4 days: 1:3, 2/2 and 3:1 splits
were possible. It was a larger patch to enable all this across x86, but
the Kconfig portion was removed a bit later because people _frequently_
misconfigured their kernels and then complained about the results.

so for now the trivial solution is to change the "C" to "8" in the
following line in include/asm-i386/page.h:

>  #define __PAGE_OFFSET		(0xC0000000)

instead of editing your .config :-)

Maybe we could try the Kconfig solution again, but it'll need alot
better documentation, dependency on KERNEL_DEBUG and some heavy warnings
all around.

	Ingo