Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 16:22 +0200, Ville Herva wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:52:11AM -0500, you [Lee Revell] wrote:
> >
> > Sure, we'd like the bug report.
>
> I will try to come up with one.
>
> > I just wanted to point out that many people who tell everyone that "ALSA
> > sucks" like you and JWZ, have really just made the mistake of buying
> > bleeding edge barely-supported hardware.
>
> Yes.
>
> I'll happily admit I definetely made just that mistake.
>
> Before I bought the new card, I did some quick asking around, and heard that
> M-Audio was supposedly good. I just wanted better sound quality than the
> integrated I815 sound (shouldn't be much to ask), and preferably HW mixing.
> I checked that revo7.1 was supported, but when I went to the reseller, they
> were out of stock for that one. So I made a quick and unconsidered decision
> to buy revo5.1 instead.
>
> So it was definetely bad research on my part.
>
> But I still maintain that the asoundrc required for swmixing is not as
> trivial as "just works". It wasn't even with i815 audio.

Since ALSA 1.0.9 (alsa-lib and alsa-driver > 1.0.9 required) no special
configuration is required to get software mixing to work for i815 (and
other chipsets which lack hardware mixing), with a few exception like
ICE1712 and ICE1724 where a more complex configuration was required due
to hardware restrictions.

You should never have to touch an .asoundrc file to get software mixing
to work, if you do it's a bug.

Lee