Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:46:08AM +0100, Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> [..]
> >>Solaris, AIX ..
> >>Full list is avalaible in "Operating System" listbox on
> >>http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi
> >
> >As I said in footnote 1 of my email, this has little value for
> >application developers since only few users on these systems use this
> >commercial sound system.
>
> You are wrong using pejorative labeling "commercial sound system" for
> this. Comercial is implementation. OSS is defined by user space API.
> This is all what was neccessary on implemting this in for Linux.

The question is simple:

How many percent of the Solaris or AIX users are actually using any
sound system implementing the OSS API?

> OSS case on Linux is very simillar to Motiff case on X11.
> As same as Motiff OSS have publically avalaible and open specyfication
> avalaible on http://www.opensound.com/pguide/oss.pdf which do not touch
> kernel level implemntations details. Using this specyfication you can
> collect all neccessary details for implemt handle /dev/* interface on
> kernel side.

There are many cross-platform audio libraries available that work on
more systems than the systems implementing the OSS API (because they
have backends for many different sound APIs including OSS), and many of
them are with open specifications.

> kloczek

cu
Adrian