Re: 2.6.15-rt2 - repeatable xrun - no good data in trace

Mark Knecht wrote:
On 1/8/06, Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
 I did run across a way that I can create a repeatable xrun on my
AMD64 machine by burning a CD in k3b while Jack is running.
Unfortunately I do not see any good trace data in dmesg when I do it.
Maybe your cdrecord is running with realtime priority higher than Jack?
Michal
cdrecord does run with SCHED_RR/99 when started with proper privileges.

Ah, then it's likely that this isn't a real problem and it would be
expected to cause an xrun?

By running cdrecord with a higher priority than Jack, you're telling the system that burning the CD is more important than not getting xruns in Jack.

Anyway, it seems strange that the trace doesn't show anything. I
suppose that's because cdrecord just grabs a lot of time at a higher
priority than Jack and Jack ends up not getting serivces at all for
5-10mS?

I guess that's exactly what's happening.

OK, back to the drawing board about debugging my problems!

Try running cdrecord as a normal user and don't give it SUID root.

Michal