Re: [patch 1/4] mm: page refcount use atomic primitives

Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:

> The VM has an interesting race where a page refcount can drop to zero, but
> it is still on the LRU lists for a short time. This was solved by testing
> a 0->1 refcount transition when picking up pages from the LRU, and dropping
> the refcount in that case.

Tell me about it...

> Instead, use atomic_inc_not_zero to ensure we never pick up a 0 refcount
> page from the LRU (ie. we guarantee the page will not be touched).

atomic_inc_not_zero() looks rather bloaty, but a single call site is OK.

> This ensures we can test PageLRU without taking the lru_lock,

Let me write some changelog for you.

isolate_lru_pages() can remove live pages from the LRU at any time and
shrink_cache() can put them back at any time.  As we don't hold the
zone->lock we can race against that.

> void fastcall __page_cache_release(struct page *page)
> {
> 	if (PageLRU(page)) {
> 		unsigned long flags;

isolate_lru_pages() removes the page here.

> 		struct zone *zone = page_zone(page);
> 		spin_lock_irqsave(&zone->lru_lock, flags);
> 		if (!TestClearPageLRU(page))
> 			BUG();

blam.

> 		del_page_from_lru(zone, page);
> 		spin_unlock_irqrestore(&zone->lru_lock, flags);
> 	}
>
> 	BUG_ON(page_count(page) != 0);
> 	free_hot_page(page);
> }

But put_page() wouldn't have entered __page_cache_release() at all, because
isolate_lru_page() is changed by this patch to elevated the page refcount
prior to clearing PG_lru:

		BUG_ON(!PageLRU(page));
		list_del(&page->lru);
		target = src;
		if (get_page_unless_zero(page)) {
			ClearPageLRU(page);

So no blam.

That's from a two-minute-peek.  I haven't thought about this dreadfully
hard.  But I'd like to gain some confidence that you have, please.  This
stuff is tricky.

> and allows
> further optimisations (in later patches) -- we end up saving 2 atomic ops
> including a spin_lock_irqsave in the !PageLRU case, and 2 or 3 atomic ops
> in the PageLRU case.

Well yeah, but you've pretty much eliminated all those nice speedups by
adding several BUG_ON(atomic_op)s.  Everyone compiles with CONFIG_BUG.  So
I'd suggest that such new assertions be broken out into a separate -mm-only
patch.